About us

Accessing information

We gather and retain a variety of information, ranging from personal information held in medical records, to non-personal information including statistical data and business documents.

How do I access information?

Documents held by us may be accessed through a variety of ways. The appropriate method of seeking access to information will depend on what type of information is sought.

If you are uncertain whether or not a formal application needs to be made, for more information contact the Information Access Unit via wm-infoaccessunit@health.qld.gov.au or (07) 3447 3090 to seek advice or refer to the information access application kit.

Search for information

Before applying for information, check to see if it is available on our website. You can find information on our Publication Scheme – where information is released and organised into various categories and our Disclosure Log – where information has been made available to the public after being released through Right to Information (RTI) applications.

Applying for information

Accessing your health records

  1. Administrative access
    West Moreton promotes the right for patients to access medical, confidential and personal information that is collected and held about them. The preferred way you can access your patient records is administratively by contacting the Release of Information Unit or by completing an Application for administrative access form.
  2. Information Privacy Act 2009 (IP) applications
    You may be required to make an IP access application for documents that contain your own personal information. There is no application fee to make an application under the IP Act. An IP application is required if you are applying on behalf of a child or if your records contain sensitive information such as mental health notes.

Accessing other people's health records

  1. Right to Information Act 2009 (RTI) applications
    You can make an RTI application for any information we hold. You need to apply under the RTI Act if you are requesting documents that contain information about other people (e.g. a relative), businesses or government activities. There is an application fee to make application under the RTI Act.
  2. Applications by agents
    If you are an agent acting on behalf of someone else (e.g. solicitors accessing information for their client) you may need to provide additional information with your application. This may include patient consent and evidence of your identity as their agent.
  3. Application by General Practitioners and other healthcare providers
    GPs seeking patient information to continue the care and treatment of the patient are able to apply to access Queensland Health’s  GP to the Viewer interface or the Federal Government’s My Health Record.  GPs and other healthcare providers may also submit their request to the Release of Information Unit at WM_ROI@health.qld.gov.au or fax to (07) 3810 1751.
    Click here for further information on accessing GP to the Viewer. Click here for further information on accessing My Health Record.

Employee Records

Current employees can contact Human Resources to request a copy of their employee records. Former employees are required to submit an IP application to the Information Access Unit (IAU).

Access to records relating to investigations, workplace grievances and recruitment processes are usually best requested through the formal RTI or IP legislation. It's best to contact the IAU first, to discuss your specific request, so that we can guide you to the best access mechanism.

For more information contact 

 wm-infoaccessunit@health.qld.gov.au or (07) 3447 3090.